4.3K views

I will start by saying that my daughter and I are frequent shoppers at Joann's, that is until may last visit today. I had purchased several skeins of yarn in November 2016 for several projects I was making for Christmas and birthday gifts.

I purchased extra to make sure that wouldn't run out, expecting to return what I wasn't able to use. I checked the back of the receipt for the return policy. It states "If you are not satisfied with your purchase, simply return it along with your receipt. A full refund will be offered in the original method of payment, as a merchandise exchange, or in a merchandise return card".

I went to the store (my receipt in hand) and The lady at the register told me there is nothing they can do as it is past 90 days. This is not stated ANYWHERE. Now, I'm stuck with 3 skeins of yarn ($9.99 each) which I'm unable to use.

I understand we're not talking big money here, however, I have two children in college and that $30 could have gone towards groceries. I've never had any issues with return at Michael's or A C Moore, so I will continue to bring them business instead, and will pass the word along to friends and family (and internet) regarding the lack of flexibility and compassion of the Joann's policies and staff.

Product or Service Mentioned: Joann Fabric Customer Care.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

I didn't like: Return policy.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from May 31, 2017.

Comments

Most places have a 30/60/90 day return policy. This lady needs to chill.

I had the same experience yesterday. I had 13 skeins of yarn that they STILL SELL for $5.69 a skein.

I didn't have my receipt but wanted store credit so I was okay with that. They were going to give me $14.12 for the ENTIRE purchase---99 cents a skein!

I kept it and will try to sell on Buy, Sell, Trade. I'll go to Michael's from now on.

She should have been able to override the 90 days thing by hitting enter on the keyboard, telling the computer to continue, and inputting her password. If you still have the receipt, you could be able to return it even today.

I say "could" because the only real limitation on returns is "Do we still sell this item or not?" If we no longer carry the item, only then are we unable to do a return. I hope this knowledge is able to help you.

Also terrible experience returning items. It was within 90 days easy but did not have receipt.

I assumed store credit would be offered but they only offer HALF of what I paid. Nothing was used, nothing was open, and the manager was so rude. No "thank you" no s"sorry for the incovience" nothing!

Unfourtanately o gave the HALF a store credit now so I will have to go back but never again. I will be sharing this with everyone.

to Anonymous #1558590

Without a receipt there's no way to know if you got the item when it was on sale, if you used a coupon, or what the value of that sale/coupon was. Nor can it be known (apart from your say-so) if it was purchased with cash or a card.

Thus it can only be returned for in-store credit, valued at the lowest price it's been sold at during the last six months.

However, if you used a card to buy it, there is a way to look up your receipt using your card's numbers and the item you wish to return. This will enable you to get full value back.

Those dye lots will never be matchable, so the yarn is junk to the store now.

I am really sad to hear that because I am a manager at one of the Jo-Ann's and yes it does not say that on the receipt and you can return anything it doesn't matter how long it was if you have your receipt there is no limit on it so it looks like somebody doesn't know how to do their job

I work at a different Joann store and we return stuff with no real defined time limit. After 90 days the register gives a pop-up warning that it's been that long since the purchase, but you just hit enter and it lets you continue the return - which is what my manager told me to do so other stores should have the option as well.

The only items we've turned down returns for, that I know of, are remnants and items that are no longer in our system. For example, if Christmas is over and we don't regularly carry a Christmas-themed item it will not be in our system with a price, so how can we give you a return on it?

Who besides Walmart doesn't have a 30 or 90 day return policy? What were you doing for those 3 months that you couldn't return it?

Policy is policy, they aren't going to break it for you.

Also, you don't have 2 "children" in college, you have two grown adults who I'd hope can pay for their own groceries. If $30 is going to set you back that much, then you don't need to be shopping at specialty stores.

to Anon #1401569

For example Kohls or Macy's don't have 30 or 90 days return policy.

to Anon #1456408

Seriously

to Anon #1482191

Yarn is sometimes purchased with the thought it will be used in the future, perhaps after current projects are completed. If it doesn't give a time limit the customer has a right to assume there isn't one.Stores should be consistent with policies.Having said that, I would like to say "I LIKE JOANNS" and have not had a problem with returns.

to Anon #1495197

That seams weird since I returned a fabric that was bought over 2 years ago, but more than likely the items weren't in the system since they do change their stock quite often. But I do agree, art is a luxury not a necessity, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Although for such a crafty person I find it hard to believe that you can't find something to do with the yarn, and you know ebay's thing.

to Anon #1521485

This is the stupidest comment I've ever read on the internet.

to Anon #1525166

You are something else lady! Get a life!

to Anon #1546203

Your a *** Its funny how you have responded so negatively to many of the complaints on here... u must be apart of their corporate team!!

They are *** too!!

Hope they get hit hard with those tariffs!! Maybe you'll be affected by it loser

to Anon #1601227

Michael's has 180 day return

It's been 8 flipping months. Are you *** me right now?! I wouldn't have returned it either.